Sunday, January 25, 2009

Chicken and White Bean Chili

This chili took home the prize for Best Overall at my ward's Chili Cook-off this weekend, so I thought I would share. I got the recipe from my aunt and it is my favorite thing to make when it is blustery and cold outside.

(The original recipe suggests you buy dry Great White beans and soak 4 cups of them in 4 cups of water and 3 cups of chicken broth, but I never have a day to spend boiling beans so I just buy canned beans.)

4 16oz cans Great White or White Northern beans (I like to mix them up for variety)
2 chicken breasts (or 4 tenderloins)
2 tsp White Chicken Worschestershire Sauce or Lea&Perrins Chicken Marinade (this is impossible to find, so I usually just leave it out)
2 tsp coriander
2 tsp cumin
pepper and salt to taste
1 small clove of garlic
1 cup chopped onion
3 cans mild green chiles (I usually just do 2, as 3 cans can get spicy)
Chopped cilantro to taste (you can leave it out if you don't like cilantro)

(The recipe says to cut chicken in 1 inch cubes, but I hate working with raw meat, so I usually just boil the chicken and then shred it into pieces w/ forks)

Take chopped garlic clove and onions and saute in 3 tbsp of olive oil until transluscent. Add chicken and spices and brown. At the same time put beans in a stock pot over medium heat. Once chicken is browned add the entire mixture to the stock pot along with the green chiles and a can and a half of water or chicken broth. Boil over medium high heat for an hour, then turn down to medium for at least another hour, stirring occasionally. You can really let it simmer for as long as you want, depending on how soupy you want it. Serve w/ pepper jack or mozzarella cheese sprinkled on top. Also, if you boil and shred the chicken, you can throw everything into a slow cooker and just not worry about it for about 4 hours.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Wow! best overall huh? CONGRATS! What a proud day that must have been! This sounds delicious and I'm happy you've posted. Thanks!