Tuesday, October 1, 2019

ROSY RED APPLE PIE

When we lived in Meridian, in the early 1970's I had a friend name Nancy McRae. I really loved her! Nancy is the one who gave us the book, The Best Christmas Pageant Ever!  Coincidently Glenn rented from her mother while he was serving his mission in Tuscan, Arizona. small world.  Anyway, this is her recipe. She used to make two of these pies for her husband every Saturday morning, because he loved them.  They moved to Gooding Idaho and her husband was killed in an small airplane accident.

I can't believe I still have the recipe:

5 Med. sized tart apples (Jonathan, Roman beauty or Granny Smith).
1/2 cup water and 2 or 3 drops of red food coloring.
Peel and slice apples
put peelings in a sauce pan with the water and food coloring and boil gently for 10 minutes.

Combine 1 cup sugar and 2 TBSP flour
Sprinkle 1/2 of the mixture in uncooked pie shell

1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind.
1 TBSP lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Mix and add to the sliced apples

Place apples in the pie shell in layers, sprinkling sugar mixture over each layer. and dot with butter. 1 TBSP

Pour juice from peeling over the apple filling.  Put on top crust and flute the edge. Slit top crust.

Bake for 10 minutes at 450 degrees then 40-50 minutes at 375 degrees

I was wondering if I could find this recipe, I throw so many things away if I haven't used them in a year.  I am glad I kept this recipe, I have some Jonathan apples that need to be made into a pie!

It came with this no fail piecrust recipe:

3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cup shortening
1 egg
1 TBSP vinegar
5 TBSP ice water

Mix dry ingredients
Cut shortening into the flour
Put egg in a small bowl and whip together with the water and vinegar.
Mix with a fork into the flour and shortening gently combining to form a ball, chill in the refrigerator for 1/2 hour.
This makes enough for 2 double crust pies

This is the condition the recipe is in, the top part with the crust recipe is gone.  So glad we have this blog so that I can preserve this delicious recipe!


No comments: